Yes Rich, but poles are mainly on public land, and local government negotiates
with vendors (especially telco vendors) who may be allowed permission to
provide/sell in a certain town/area.  RCN is a great example.  Also, cell phone
vendors must negotiate with localities (often time they bribe government
officials with free cell phones) regarding towers.  They claim to have the
ability to bypass localities (FCC/Federal jurisdiction), but they don't, imho.

When the power company owns the pole, all others pay rent to use them (but, I
think fees regulated/must be reasonable?).  When the phone company (remember,
used to be a ~government monopoly, Bell System) owns the pole, the electric
company pays rent, or some kind of tradeoff for their generosity elsewhere.

This whole area, exclusive ownership of the "last mile", was the subject of the
Telecommunications Act; opening "access" to the last mile, in the name of
competition.  Injecting some free market goodness, into non-free market
situations.

I worked for a CLEC in early 00's, and implementation, and interpretation of
the Act was hotly debated.   I believe incumbent carriers, highly
disincentivised to cooperate, did indeed not fully cooperate (to put it
mildly).  Some would say that "opening up to all-comers" was not fair to
incumbents.  "What joke of a company do we welcome into the data center this
week?".

Of course, many, many telco (and other) startups failed when the ez-finance of
the tech bubble dried up.   First finance was irrationally easy, then it was
irrationally hard.

I know that out near Fitchburg, Unitel was so awful after storms that
localities were seeking to allow access to "competing" power companies.   The
whole concept of "competing" gets blurred in these quasi-governmental
situations.   Just keep in mind- the problem isn't with the free market, it is
with the interface to the non-free market/legacy components.

I heard a rumor that ROI on FIOS is 9 years.

Thanks,
Jim Gasek