On 02/28/2013 12:00 AM, Rich Pieri wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 17:55:29 -0600
Derek Martin <inva...@pizzashack.org> wrote:

Additionally, if your work desktop is shared, i.e. other users can log
into it over the network, doing this will enable ANYONE to access all
your files on the usb disk.  From their desktop.  Without you knowing.
How is this at all different from FAT32 or exFAT?

USB thumb drives are inherently insecure without encryption. It does not matter if the file system is FATxxx or ext2. Although I always carry one with me, we are not permitted to use them at work. (And yes, the company hands them out free at marketing events).

But, with a Linux file system, then the drive is as secure as a local drive (Linux permissions).

My personal policy is that I use thumb drives maybe as sneaker net when needed or to copy WPA data (low risk for me since I would change the WPA if I lost the drive). I never use it for system passwordsor company confidential documents.

--
Jerry Feldman <g...@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix