There are many residential CLEC companies.

"Are you sure about that? I haven't actually looked in the last decade, but my impression matches what Richard Pieri described - that they've consolidated and fled the residential market. I'm sure there is a CLEC that will take over your business copper in Downtown Boston. I'd be surprised if there is still one that will take over a single residential line out in the suburbs."

I use DSL Extreme <http://www.dslextreme.com/> for a residential account and Covad/MegaPath <http://www.covad.com/index.html> for a business account in the Roxbury/Dorchester area. DSL Extreme took over the DSL accounts from Newton-based Galaxy Internet Services, and I would guess that they offer service in quite a few suburban parts of the Boston metro area.

   - Stephen