The 2004 law was passed because construction workers and other unionized workers were finding that employers were forcing them to set up phony independent contractor status so the employer could get out of providing benefits. And since union leaders and politicians are often buddy-buddy, the Mass. legislature passed an overbroad law to help out their union cronies without giving a damn about the havoc they'd be causing to software engineers, even though software is one of the biggest parts of the state's economy. It took several years before the law actually filtered down to clients, but now I'm hearing that nobody in the country will hire an independent software contractor from Massachusetts. Same goes for writers, artists, etc. See http://www.wbur.org/2010/06/30/independent-contractor-law.

   Mark Rosenthal
   m...@arlsoft.com <mailto:m...@arlsoft.com>

On 7/30/2013 4:50 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey....@blu.org [mailto:discuss-
bounces+blu=nedharvey....@blu.org] On Behalf Of Joseph Guarino

What were they thinking?  As a political independent I'm not opposed to
taxation but I am opposed to them being unfairly levied against
industries we should be trying to encourage to stay in the state.
It's a use tax.  Amazon and rackspace are not located in MA, but the consumers
in MA have to pay the tax.  So I don't really think it fairly or unfairly
pushes tech jobs out of the state.  Unless your job happens to be a big
consumer of such products.

They conceived it during the economic downswing.  At that time, I saw them
cracking down hard, on things they had let slide for years.  To gain revenue.
I know at least 3 companies that got suddenly smacked with taxes and fines for
using contractors instead of employees - Companies which were 100% above board.
 But they have a good estimate how much it will cost you to defend your case,
so they just fine you some amount below that level, knowing that most
businesses will simply pay it off rather than fight it.  This happened with 2
out of the 3 companies I mentioned.  The 3rd one decided to contest the
charges, and as predicted, got the fines dismissed at a cost higher than the
fines themselves.