On 3/9/2015 4:03 PM, Matthew Gillen wrote:
I think I'm convincing myself that if you want to roll back, use VMs.
/boot is too complicated to deal with.

No, you have the right idea. It's possible to roll back with LVM but the problem with this is that you /must/ eventually roll back or re-create the file systems else you'll eventually run out of space in the volume group. This is the same problem that AUFS and other union (overlay) file systems have. They're not file systems as we typically think of them. They're logs of transactions relative to a master file system.

Ubuntu has a long history of not being upgradable in place. Ubuntu uses Debian's package management system but it doesn't use Debian's stability mandate. That's Debian's definition of "stability" which more or less means "updates and upgrades never break a working system."[1] That Ubuntu's Johnny-come-lately upgrade tool needs a sandbox mode is demonstrable proof of how poor it is in its current state. Personally, on the rare occasions where I have to do a major upgrade on Ubuntu I make sure that my configuration documents are in order, I do a clean install, and I recreate the custom configuration based on the documentation.

[1] I've only once encountered a situation where Debian was required to break that mandate and that was due to a security change in Dovecot up stream that broke everybody.

--
Rich P.