On 7/3/2015 4:30 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
I plan to build a freenas box.  I can get a 24-bay 4U case and build
into it for about the same price as a synology that can only hold half
the disk space and a fraction of the ram..

Neither of which are microservers.

the disk and ram was the vast majority of the price.

If you compare the two with no (or minimal) storage then you'll find that the prices are pretty close to each other. Drives is where the gouging is these days.

Last year I specced out some high-end compute servers (2 by Xeon 10-core, 384GB) with a pile of storage (80TB) from Dell and IBM. The compute portions were essentially identical prices. The Dell storage was 2 x 12-bay SAS storage arrays with SATA (NL-SAS) drives; the IBM storage was 2 x 12-bay SAS storage arrays with SAS drives. Both sets of storage arrays cost about the same.

The Dell SATA drives cost ~$14K *MORE* than the IBM SAS drives. You read that right. SATA drives on the order of twice the cost of SAS drives. Our Dell rep refused to budge on the price even after we showed him the IBM quote.

Dell did not get the sale.

--
Rich P.