On 03/19/2016 01:48 AM, Matthew Gillen wrote:
On 3/18/2016 9:52 PM, jbk wrote:
I have a netgear modem with log export capability that I would like to
monitor on my server. The server is running SL6.7. I presume that I need
to open ports on the firewall and associated protocol.
The modem has simple choices that allow me to point the output to a
specific ip address but not a port.
I need to tell syslog or maybe its rsyslog to listen for the log
broadcasts.
So any hints would be helpful.
Run wireshark/tcpdump and see what port it is trying to connect to.
pcap comes in before your machine's local firewall, so don't worry about
disabling that.

# tcpdump -i eth0 host modem-ip-address

HTH,
Matt

Thanks

I ran tcpdump and got output that I am now trying to use to setup in rsyslog.conf.

I'll followup when I have either succeeded or need some error assistance.

Jim

--
Jim Kelly-Rand
j...@kjkelra.com