On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 11:40 -0400, Benjamin Horst wrote:
> Hello Guy,
>
> I've long felt that a PR and media push in the USA could produce very strong
> results for OOo and now for LibO. I'd suggest we (I'm in NYC) model such a
> campaign after the work Italo Vignoli does in Italy, which has been so
> successful there.
>
> Are you a PR professional yourself? Such experience would be a boon!

> On Oct 6, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Guy Lunardi <gluna...@novell.com> wrote:
>
> > Bonjour!
> >
> > I just noticed (should have much earlier) that there is no media contact
> > based in the USA.
> >

> > I already know and have worked with most of the journalists that are
> > likely to cover LibreOffice and the Document Foundation.
> >
> > Having participated in at least one interview that Florian and Michael
> > gave, I feel I can handle most if not all questions that would come our
> > way.

Howdy Guy, Ben

I won't go into great detail but let me bring you both up to speed as to
some actions already started.

A couple of days back I posted a message on the list for anyone
interested in starting a US document foundation group to contact me
direct. Ben was one person, of a group to do so. There are active and
interested community members in areas ranging from Seattle, to LA, with
Guy from MA to GA and points in between.

I have contacts for 2 state LUGs that would be interested in someone
coming to talk about the document foundation and LibreOffice.

There was also a phone call between myself and R. Singer, a marketing
consultant in Redwood City CA,  formally and soon to be again (they I go
speaking for others..) active member of the community.

He had some good initial thoughts that I figured could be used as a kick
off discussion for the group.

Yesterday I asked the steering committee if it would be possible to
setup a dedicated mailing list for our use, to get everyone involved and
brainstorming. I came up with the creative name of US-Events. Haven't
heard back yet but they are rather busy.

If the mailing list needs to wait a bit I will setup a forum for us to
use later tonight or the morning as an interim.

I'd say it's just a matter of how quickly this gets launched and not if.

Thanks,

Drew Jensen