Gianluca,

Le Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:08:37 +0100,
Gianluca Turconi <m...@letturefantastiche.com> a écrit :

> Thanks to you and André for your replies.
>
> See below for further comments.
>
> Il 31/10/2010 12.52, Charles-H. Schulz ha scritto:
>
> [...]
>
> > I think your question would be better asked to the developers'
> > mailing list, but I will nonetheless try to answer it here:
> > - there is no extended ODF version, unless of course you refer to
> > the "extended" ODF format used in OpenOffice.org. This specific
> > version had been enabled and was a vendor specific one because it
> > was essentially the subsequent drafts of the ODF 1.2 specification
> > that were implemented by OpenOffice.org. Once ODF 1.2 will be fully
> > out, there will be no extended version, but only extended as in
> >    "subsequent draft specification".
>
> Well, this is the reason why I spoke about *future* LibO version. ;-)
>
> IMO, it isn't only a question about "better defaults", but a real
> turning point for LibO.
>
> I'll try to clarify my point of view.
>
> Let's say that by the time ODF 1.2 will be out, every feature
> currently supported from LibO will be in ODF specification too. That
> would be simply great.
>
> Then, what?
>
> Will LibO 4.0/5.0 stay at ODF 1.2 until ODF 2.0 (or whatever version)
> will be officially approved, becoming so the "Lingua Franca" in
> exchanging documents for people and organizations or will LibO try to
> implement more features that *may* be included in ODF 2.0, becoming
> so a technical cutting edge application?
>
> They are two completely different visions of the project, I think.
>
> I hope you understand what my point is, here.

So there are two things to understand here, aside the fact that you're
asking a question which I think will have to be decided on the future;
yet the principle is, if we have an ISO standard, why shouldn't we
implement it? Now:
- ODF does not change very quickly (it's a standard)
- ODF is forward-compatible, meaning: ODF 1.0 has X features, ODF 1.2
  will always have X +3 or 4 features, which means that unless you use
  these 3 or 4 features, you will always use the X feature set anyway.

In a nutshell: the answer can be political, or practical (every other
implementation uses a certain version, etc.) but it does not
fundamentally affect users for the moment.

best,

Charles.