Hi Andrea,

( just to mention: I did not make my mind on this yet, I'm just
providing some thoughts)

> Von: Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
> An: discuss@documentfoundation.org

> > The paperwork was only a practical detail: not relinquising your
> > copyright is the most important.
>
> I haven't seen any new contributor write that they joined because of
> (the refusal of) a copyright agreement; while I have seen several new
> contributors write that they started contributing because the "Easy
> Hacks" were so easy that they didn't require any previous technical
> knowledge.

If we want an answer on this (would developers not have joined if there
was a CA) we would need to ask them. This should indeed be asked
at the dev-list. I'd bet, that at least some of them would state
that they not would have joined.

> Do you need an example? Think of a "happy ending" where, to the benefit
> of users, OOo and all derivatives merge in a common project. There are
> many stakeholders (Oracle, IBM, Novell, Red Hat, Redflag, the Document
> Foundation...) and they might agree on a new, free, license with some
> special provisions due to the long history of OOo. Now, without
> copyright assignments/agreements every stakeholder would be able to join
> the unified project except the Document Foundation. By choosing against
> copyright assignments/agreements you are killing this dream... And I
> can't see how the Document Foundation could realistically say it is open
> to discuss with companies in this setting.

Ok, got your point. But I (personally) see that this is very unlikely to
happen. I might be wrong, but everything I heard from the OOo main
sponsor so far indicated that they will never ever debate the CA /
licensing issue on a common ground.

Anyway - it all depends on the question if developers would sign the CA.
And we can only ask developers on this.

André