On 19 November 2010 15:11, Phil Hibbs <sna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ian Lynch:
> > And of course there is the
> > argument that without certain features some of the large public sector
> > switches might not have happened.
>
> Back in my teens, my dad and I wrote a Basic interpreter for the PC
> based on the Acorn BBC Micro dialect. We went to a computer show, and
> I lost count of the number of people who just asked "Is it 100%
> compatible?", and when I said "no, but...", they just laughed and
> walked off. It's a hard barrier to break through - there are plenty of
> people who will say "It doesn't have feature X therefore we'll stick
> with Microsoft". Sometimes it's features that can be worked around,
> such as only allowing one AutoFilter in a workbook, but someone will
> use that as an excuse for declaring a show-stop.

Thing we don't really know is whether a very efficient and compact version
of Writer that supported excellent filters for all the commonly used things
like tables, headings etc  and worked in a cell phone would outweigh
anything missing. After all the versions of MS Office for handhelds is only
a subset of the full MS Office. In phones it is not the same barrier as in
PCs,

--
Ian

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications