On Nov 23, 2010, at 13:56 , David Nelson [via Document Foundation Mail Archive]
wrote:

> Hi, :-)
>
> I'm just curious... what is the moderator's role? do all messages get
> filtered by a human? how does a moderator operate?

Hi David:

The moderator's role is to approve - or not, of course - messages coming to the
list from non-registered addresses.  Many of these are spam, or return
receipts, or out-of-office messages, which the list members don't want to see.
Some are from persons with a genuine posting, but not registered, and, at the
moment, anyone who posts a message via nabble (the online archives/forum) has
to have his message approved for it to also go out via the mailing list.

So no, not all messages are filtered by a human.  Just the ones the machine
can't decide on.  Varies from about 10 to maybe 100 on a bad day.  Normally
around 20-30.  There are four or five moderators, depending on the list, most
in Europe, but one or two, I think, in the US for when Europe is offline.

//James