On 01/01/11 17:07, Zaphod Feeblejocks wrote:
> Why does Thunderbird, which ships with
> American English need an extension before it can use a British English
> dictionary?  Why
> can Thunderbird not share a dictionary with LibO.  What about Scribus? MSO
> users are
> used to a shared dictionary across apps.

I *think* Mozilla Thunderbird uses hunspell now, so surely it should be
possible to share dictionaries with OOo/LibO.

I wonder whether it would be appropriate to launch a new project, under
the auspices of The Document Foundation, concerned with language. It
could co-ordinate collaboration efforts between organisations like
dicollect, wiktionary and alike to produce standardised spelling and
grammar dictionaries and thesauruses for use by other projects (that use
hunspell). The reason why I suggest a separate project is that, outside
of product integration efforts, the standardisation of language requires
(I assume) very different skill-sets to those required for coding, and
organisations like dicollect and wiktionary are probably best placed to
take the lead in that arena.

Also, I agree with everything Zaphod said.

Kind Regards,

Lee Hyde.

--
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

        -- Dr. Samuel Johnson (April 7th, 1775)