On Dec 30, 2010, at 18:27 , Larry Gusaas wrote:

> I will not support or use LibreOffice
> until it stops helping spread OOXML by enabling writing in this file format.
> There is absolutely no need to write in this proprietary format. To do so is
> contrary to the principle of using ODF and open source formats.

I've read a lot of points of view in this thread, and received a lot of
information.  For example, I didn't know that the docx format was supposed to
be MS's open document format.  I just thought it was the latest update to MSO
making everyone update to keep abreast.  So much for my knowledge of MSO.

As regards Larry's comment, I endorse it.  Read is right, write is wrong.

Regarding the different pov's of posters about the advisability or not of
writing docx, sometimes you've just got to take a stand, no matter what.  It's
a case for the marketing guys, not the developers.

//James