On 03/10/2011 02:47 PM, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
> Hi Charles, *,
>
> Charles Marcus schrieb:
>> On 2011-03-10 8:09 AM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>
>>> The one situation where unsubscribing is "difficult" is when the
>>> reply asking for confirmation to unsubscribe is flagged as spam and
>>> thus not sorted to the user's inbox, but then again that's not the
>>> fault of the list-management.
>
>> So change the default behavior...
>
>> Make the confirmation email just that - a confirmation that an
>> unsubscribe request has been made, and if they don't cancel the
>> request within - what, 12? 24? hours, then the unsubscribe request is
>> honored.
>
> Not a really good idea in my opinion, because anyone can unsubscribe
> You!
>
> In worst case, this enables the possibility of an "unsubscription war".

Then perhaps a reminder email after 48 hours going back to advise
something along the lines of:

We've noticed that you'd not responded to the previous unsubscribe email
response. If you do not respond to this message within x hours/days your
account will be automatically unsubscribed.  To prevent this, please
follow the link to:

<url> and click "I do not wish to unsubscribe"

or "To prevent this, please reply <instructions>

If you are still having issues with this, please contact: xyz@domain
directly.

That should give the user ample opportunity to respond.

Regarding an "unsubscription war"; the direct contact address should put
a stop to that if the moderator/list owner sees that the address is
receiving multiple unsubscribe requests. If the messages are tagged as
spam by the users ISP filters, then that's certainly the users problem.

I do not have any experience with mlmmj so I've no idea if such a
response can be automated, or if it is possible. But lacking the ability
to modify settings/subscribe/unsubscribe like those in mailman, perhaps
something like this might work?

Note to Florian: Starting next week I'll install mlmmj on one of my test
servers and see if I can gain some knowledge/exerience with it. I'm sure
it will be better if someone with _real_ mlmmj experience provides added
feedback in this thread, but I'm certainly willing to experiment/try.