I believe, that The Document Foundation can employ Developers for LibreOffice.
I believe the community is able to get the money for that on a monthly base.

We saw that the community was able to rise 50.000€ in 8(!) days. It will be
possible to get that money in a year for one full-time developer.
These two examples show that this works even over a longer period of time (note
that these projects are much smaller than LibreOffice):
- Ardour (http://ardour.org): $4500 are raised every month to pay the main
developer
- Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com): $5500 were raised in April to pay the main
developer

Despite from having full-time developers, for volunteer developers it would be
nice to get money for fixing a specific bug / implementing a feature. Ardour
has such a system where you can donate for a specific issue:
http://ardour.org/bugbounty
I think something like this would bring great benefit to LO, since users can
show what they want to be fixed most and developers get some money for coding
(or at their option donate it to TDF).