Hi,

2011/5/13 plino <pedl...@gmail.com>:
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/227849/open_source_advocates_angry_at_german_govt_decision.html
>
> This isn't even about OpenOffice vs LibreOffice... It's about Closed Source
> vs Open Source
>
> TBH I think it was a bad move to change radically if you have experienced
> and productive users trained on whatever program (regardless of the
> license).
>
> Also, if you need professional support you can't just move to Open Source,
> let alone a Linux distro that was still being developed...
>
> Could it be that it took them 6 years to realize that?

There were much articles about this in the german press these days and
the government has to answer some questions which had been asked from
the opposition in parliament.
The main problem was that the OpenSource strategy was half-hearted as
the end-user had to work with dual-boot systems, some applications on
Windows, some on Linux. Also the guidance was poor and the apps did
not get updated for years. So the endusers in the diplomatic services
got displeased more and more, but the responsible persons in the
administration choose the wrong way out.
This is the short version, you can read a bit more at the H :
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/German-Foreign-Office-explains-open-source-elimination-1241804.html

Bye

Volker

--
++ Volker Merschmann - Member of The Document Foundation -
http://documentfoundation.org