On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 17:54, Simos Xenitellis
> <simos.li...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> The key thing being "that person". That person is most likely not You,
>>> the developer who is contributing to the software. Thus, You won't get
>>> those changes unless "that person" decides to pass them back to you.
>>>
>>> So you don't necessarily have a "right" to the code. You are relying
>>> on the goodwill of "that person" to help you out. Of course, they
>>> might not even know who you are. They might not care. They might not
>>> ever ask for the source code.
>>>

>> It's a common misconception. If a TV uses Linux (most LCD/LED TV use Linux),
>> you do not need to show evidence you bought one in order to ask for
>> the Linux source code.
>>
>> See the GPLv2 (per Linux kernel) license text,
>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.txt
>>
>> “Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years,
>> to give **any third party**, for a charge no more than your
>> cost of physically performing source distribution,”
>
> That written offer goes to the recipient (your statement comes from
> 3(b), which is dependent upon the primary part of (3), which talks
> about distributions to a recipient). The recipient does not need to
> transfer or pass that offer to third parties.

Here is the full sentence, omitting some details for clarity:

a. You [i.e. manufacturer, etc] may copy and distribute the Program,
b. in object code or executable form
c. provided that you also
d. accompany it with a written offer
e. to give **any** third party
f. a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code

> Again, you're relying on the goodwill of the recipient to get changes
> returned.

Anyone can get a copy of the source code for copyleft software.

Tell me which LCD/LED TV  you have (brand, model), and I'll get for
you the source code (of the copyleft) software.

Simos