Simos Xenitellis wrote:
On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 1:30 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
Ignoring the repetition on who is entitled to source code and how they are told
about it, I would like to know the answers to some very specific, tangible
matters closer to home.  My question is basically whether the terms of a GPL
license attached to a software distribution are applicable to that software
distribution, not just downstream derivatives of it.  I assume the answer is
yes.

 - Dennis

WHY I ASK

I have a copy of LibreOffice 3.3.2 installed on my computer.  I am looking for
any place that I am offered access to the specific (or, indeed, any) source
code for the LibreOffice 3.3.2 distribution that I have installed (en-win-x86).

Admittedly, I never checked the UI text as to where you can get the
source code.

To build LibreOffice, I would simply follow the instructions at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/How_to_build
which cover different operating systems.

By following the instructions, you create a local "repository" of the
source code,
and this repository has *all* versions of LibreOffice (such as 3.3.2
and 3.4.0) and you can select which to build.
It should take you a few hours of downloading + compilation to create
your own LibreOffice.
If you have a fast Internet speed and a good computer, it should take
you about 3 hours of compilation.

Your question is actually about whether we can make the Help→License
information more informative
so that users who would like to build LibreOffice, will get directed
to the How_to_build page.
I had no trouble finding and downloading source code, it is posted right there on the download site. Actually I downloaded it purely for curiosity, I am not qualified to write code in C++ , but I looked at it using Notepad. In that form, it is basically just gibberish, perhaps you have to have a copy of the C++ programming language on your computer in order to see it in an intelligible form, but at least I know that I succeeded in getting the source of part of the Writer module.