>Changing icons in minor versions is probably not a good idea.
Yeah I agree.

>Changing the floppy Icon has outdated ALL books about
OpenOffice/LibreOffice that have been written, >including textbooks. Such
changes might happen in major versions, always allowing the users to use
the old >theme, but a forced changed disconnects the products from all the
efforts and materials that have been >made to support its distribution...
and in many cases makes it unusable.

EVEN for countries in the third world, relying on textbooks, dead
documents, for a software which is very much alive makes little sense. The
future is here, why not take it and use it at once. Free wiki's are
everywhere. Wikia.com is a great place to start. Relying on textbooks just
won't cut it in 2012.

>In Cambodia, OpenOffice is used in all the school system... considering
changing to LibreOffice with icons >that are different than the ones in the
official textbook is just not possible, it would just create lots of
>confusion for teachers and students, and that is exactly what we do not
need. The system might change to a >new interface when it wants.... but not
when LibreOffice developers decide to change, it is just not possible >to
print new textbooks.

Yet, I do see your point that you are trying to comply with the legacy of
OpenOffice. We all know how legacy dependency can hurt a software project.
In particular a project where competition is intense and competitors are
using dirty tricks. But okay I won't entertain the idea to ditch break with
this legacy, for now.

But I still believe that the user interface *NEEDS* more work and both
finegrained pixel-hunts as well as moving away from the MS Office-2000
style.

With the best of intentions
-A