> While working on my wiki page about a new Writer toolbar, I realized
> that independently of my proposal, I believe it makes sense for
> LibreOffice to prefer Python. I see how LO is heading in this
> direction, but you could be explicit about it, create more workitems,
> perhaps track it like you do the German comments and uncalled
> functions, etc.

It could also be helpful to have a handbook for PyUno... ;-)

The point is that a *lot* of users of Python (and there are bulkloads
out there) are non-developers who don't give a darn for Java or VBA
(because those don't provide what these users need) and who might have
never even learned C++.

So without specific documentation they're essentially stalled, while
with a handbook, you could get a lot of helpers to implement additions
in Python.

Looks like a classic "multiplier" situation to me.

> You may have to support Java for years, but that doesn't mean you
> should invest in the language. I wrote almost an entire chapter in my
> book about some of the biggest problems with it
> (http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=2228).

Java is not a scripting language.

It was *deliberately* designed and implemented to make interfacing with
anything outside the Java runtime environment as difficult as possible
(sandboxing). And interfacing easily with anything that has an API is
*the* very purpose of a scripting language. Besides, it doesn't offer
an interactive commandline interpreter, so you can't really use it for
actual scripting anyway.

VBA (or the LO/OO dialect of it) is entirely irrelevant outside the
locked-up MS world anyway, and especially in the FOSS world.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang