> First of all -  I'm no developer, but I've been using word processing and
> spreadsheets for just about twenty-five years.  Over that time, I've seen
> some really ill-conceived software (some of which was more focused on glitz
> than functionality).
>
> Over the last five years or so, since the demise of AppleWorks, I've tried
> NeoOffice, Lotus Symphony, OpenOffice and LibreOffice.  At times I've
> switched just to see if there's an improvement.  Other times, I've made the
> change due to outright frustration.  That's the case this time.  After
> using
> LibreOffice for two years or more, I've gone back to OpenOffice.
>
> Why, you ask?

No, I don't. I did the same switch. Twice… (but I still have LibreOffice
installed so I can try it out now and then, when I don't have anything
better to do…)

> I'm working with one fairly large spreadsheet of 126 KB (well, it isn't
> really THAT large).

No, not large at all.

>   It contains no formulas or macros, just about 24
> columns and 2500 rows, plus six more small spreadsheets.  Many cells have
> nothing in them.  I did a direct comparison of OpenOffice and LibreOffice,
> and found that the latest Mac versions vary substantially.  I turned off
> everything I could (such as Java runtime) in both.  OpenOffice opened the
> file quite a bit more slowly (3 mins., 45 secs.) compared with
> LibreOffice's
> 2 mins.

I have several spreadsheets way bigger than yours, with formulas,
conditional formatting and macros, opening in less than a minute. With
Apache OpenOffice. 3:45 sounds way too much to me. And I bought this
computer in 2007…

> However, I realized that I don't care that much that it's slow to open in
> OpenOffice, as the file gets used all day.  But I find that OpenOffice
> seems
> MUCH more stable,

I find that too.

> and doesn't tie up my RAM nearly as much as LibreOffice
> for the same file.

I didn't test that, but I believe you.

>   (That's really why I dropped LibreOffice.)  Could it be
> related to the constantly increasing size of LibreOffice?
>
> I also realized that I don't really care that OpenOffice doesn't yet save
> files as docx or xlsx.  I just want stability from the software.

I didn't know it could, but I don't use those formats anyway, and if
someone sends me such a file I just delete it. Problem solved.

> Of course, OpenOffice is also lagging behind Microsoft Office.

With what? I didn't use MS Office since at least 2007 (that's the year I
stopped using Windows), but I certainly don't miss any features in either
LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice.

>   I'm also
> aware that Munich and Freiburg recently returned to Microsoft after having
> made a real commitment to open-source software.
>
> As I'm planning to move into the publishing field, I may yet need to use
> Microsoft Office.  But as long as possible, I will use OpenOffice, and
> perhaps it will catch up to Microsoft, especially now that IBM is throwing
> its support to Apache OO.
>
> Also -  it may seem like a little thing, but I reported a bug some time
> ago.
> It was related to your "find" field not allowing anything to be copied into
> it.  LibreOffice didn't seem able to fix it, and OpenOffice's find field
> works much better  -  and that's another reason to return to it.

I also reported bugs a while ago, but in the end I just found too many so I
went back to my life. In fact there are a couple of bugs in Apache
OpenOffice as well, but I just don't have time to report them anymore, and
most of them are just looks anyway.

And I never got along very well with this mailing list; I always forget to
”reply to all”, which I don't need to do with most of the mailing lists I'm
subscribed to, including those for Apache OpenOffice…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ