Biggest problem so far is when running emacs inside gnuscreen in Mate GUI…the current emacs text selection doesn't have a visible highlighting.

A text emacs alone works. I can get other things to do color in screen (run top, then press Z, for example). My .screenrc just sets an escape character and scroll back value. /etc/screen matches what is in screen's .deb

Both my user (which has emacs customizations) and another user (no emacs customizations nor any .screenrc file at all) have the same problem.

Logging into a Debian 11 box and its old emacs and screen can happily team up to do selection highlighting on my MATE terminal.

Further complication: I don't like those trendy dark-on-dark themes, I like back on white, so my highlighting is frequently messed up these days.

-kb