On Sun, 9 Jun 2024 13:52:49 -0700
Kent Borg <kentb...@borg.org> wrote:

> Arm chips are starting to make inroads into real server farms,
> because they offer more performance per watt than do Intel and AMD
> chips, and I suspect also because they can scale their power usage so
> well. But, though they are getting pretty fast, are still slower.

You can get proper ARM servers: rack-mounted systems with all the
trimmings you would expect from server class hardware: remote
management, ECC RAM, PCIe expansion for high speed network and fibre
storage connectivity, etc. We have about a dozen standalone ARM servers
for product development and testing. They're mostly used as Docker
hosts, and they work well enough for that. Good for when performance
per watt is a higher priority than performance, but yeah, the Intel
servers handily out-perform the best ARM has to offer in terms of
raw performance.

--