On 7/2/24 13:24, Rich Pieri wrote:
TL;DR: these are notices, not errors.

socket units are, well, socket units. They're systemd's version of
(x)inetd.conf.

Yes, I looked at "ssh.socket" is and indeed it did look very inetd-like. Which is what worried me! If sshd isn't going to start until some ssh.socket something tells it to, and if that is disabled…

Looking back through my notes I see *lots* of times I recorded that I upgraded openssh-server, yet I don't ever before remember seeing a "notice" that looked so unnervingly error-like.

The fact that this is the first time openssh-server has had an upgrade since my Debian 11 -> 12 upgrade might be its cause, but that doesn't make it an explanation.

A static unit is a unit that lacks an install section. This is not a
bug: many units don't need to auto-start at boot time. They are
triggered by other events.

If some inetd-like mechanism isn't going to start sshd, and there isn't a "static unit" to "auto-start" to do it either, what a frightening pair of "notices".

-kb