discuss-requ...@driftwood.blu.org writes:
> My difficulty with proprietary software is that I'm a software engineer
> and I know it sucks.

(I'm assuming that "it" refers to "proprietary software" and not to "I'm
a software engineer".)

My experience is that my opinion of the quality of proprietary software
vs. the quality of open source software varies depending on what major
software I've had to deal with recently -- if it was proprietary, my
current opinion will be that open source software is better quality; if
it was open source, my current opinion will be that proprietary software
is better quality.

The reality is closer to my depressed musing from my first real job:

    Quality isn't Job 1.  Job 1 is getting the code out the door as soon
    as possible with no bugs that the customer will detect in the first
    5 seconds of execution.  And in reality, this is what the customer
    will reward us for doing.

Dale