As a contrary opinion, I think firewalls are great.

I deal with computer security on a regular basis. Do you know how many
threats there are? OMG its crazy. Every day I hears of crap that just
blows my mind. Just recently OpenSSH_8.9p1 fixed an issue where an
external agent can get root access to a system because some code was
exposed in sshd that allowed it to respond a a signal. Somehow the
"ifdef/endif" were removed. I'm suspicious, to be honest.

There is no service, none, that I would trust. Every single security point
has a hole. The best you can do is the "Swiss cheese model."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese_model

If you assume that every security entry point has holes, then a firewall
is your first layer of cheese.

You can never be 100% sure that you are secure. NEVER. At any point in
time, a hither-to unknown/unbelievable exploit will be announced and you
have to scramble to patch it.