Hey all,

J.P.: We are working to get some funding so that members of chapters can
attend. The last conference we funded more than 20 people to attend the conf
at NYU.
I like your point of community engagement - how do you envision we should go
down that road? For instance I think the conference at EP is lacking that
community engagement, why don't we get down on a skype call and talk about
it? Would next Friday suit you? I am based in Rome so we need a bit of
arrangement for the time but lets do it!

On top of my head for better community engagement which is low cost and
doable what about having an event at each active chapter during the main
conference, so even those of who cannot attend can join? Something similar
to what OVC did two years ago, promoting a local event during the main one
by booking a room at Uni getting some drinks and chips? I am not sure we
will have the funding to do it but that would be quite nice as a way to
bring the community together.
Or why don't you guys draft one of the position papers? For example working
together on a issue that you feel important and SFC should promote and maybe
involve academics too?

On the other hand when in the past we have tried to bring out local chapters
we have seen a mild response since chapters were mostly one person in
sporadic contact.

J.B.: The idea of an open source toolkit came up while talking with Alex
Kozak a few months back, a guide on how to start a chapter and which open
source tools are there (look at: http://libreprojects.net/). I now think it
should include information on global SFC as well, consolidate all the bits
and pieces that we have out there so for example: history of past
conferences, projects and local events. Any suggestions?

Keep in touch!

Regards
Andrea