Hey all:

I'd like to draw your attention to the information below. Please
considering signing, and forward to others you feel would be interested in
joining this effort to stop SOPA and protect the Internet.

-----

A grassroots effort has been sparked in the OER and educational technology
community to express concern about the implications of the Stop Online
Piracy Act and PROTECT IP act for OER and online educational services. You
can see our draft letter
here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mODQeljsWa1tzg1mVShE51L8bARR8jaPUdlmWJc3iX4/edit>
.

More information on the bill below, but if you already agree, the process
to sign on is simple:

   - Visit this
form<https://docs.google.com/a/massthink.net/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dEF1aHBMeFZyYXNRUzBXeHFlZW5EZHc6MQ#gid=0>and
simply add your name, email, organization, and (if you want)
   approximately how many learners you or your organization reach.
   our list.

Why does SOPA matter to online education?

There is now a whole class of sites that encourage lawful distribution,
remixing and redistribution of educational content (e.g. Curriki,
Connexions, P2PU, YouTube, CK12). Should someone accidentally or
purposefully upload copyrighted material, that service would generally be
protected from liability by the DMCA. A content owner would issue a DMCA
takedown to start that process for removal.

If these bills are enacted, sites that host or use user-generated content
could be required to monitor their site for infringing material, and could
potentially have their domain name disabled by the government if content
owners thought that infringement was occurring on that site. This
represents an entirely new legal power given to content owners to control
the flow of content online and to shape the very foundation of the Internet.

This battle is not just about a material threat to existing sites, but
fighting for future innovations and future services that have yet to be
created.  Here are some groups that have already expressed concern:

   -
Librarians<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111110/00563216705/when-even-librarians-are-against-sopa.shtml>
   - Tech
investors<http://www.usv.com/2011/06/the-protect-ip-act-will-slow-start-up-innovation.php>
   - Legal academics<http://www.scribd.com/doc/59241037/PROTECT-IP-Letter-Final>
   -
Entrepreneurs<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110907/15472915844/top-entrepreneurs-warn-congress-protect-ip-will-stifle-innovation-hurt-job-growth.shtml>
   - Tech
companies<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111025/08343716500/house-trying-to-rush-through-its-version-protect-ip-tech-industry-asks-why.shtml>
   - Sports
fans<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111109/00180516690/sopa-will-have-serious-implications-sports-fans-blogs.shtml>

Again, please join us in becoming a signatory to our Concerned Educator
letter to
Congress<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mODQeljsWa1tzg1mVShE51L8bARR8jaPUdlmWJc3iX4/edit>.
The process is simple. You can either:

   - Visit this
form<https://docs.google.com/a/massthink.net/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dEF1aHBMeFZyYXNRUzBXeHFlZW5EZHc6MQ#gid=0>and
simply add your name, email, organization, and (if you want)
   approximately how many learners you or your organization reach.
   our list.

Thank you! We need your voice in this fight and beyond.

--
Timothy Vollmer
Open Policy Fellow, Creative Commons