on 31/01/04 08:54, Kurt Seemann at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Heath, etal.
>
> Two things,
>
> ONE:
> I have noticed that since updating to authoxy 3, both on Panther 10.3.2 and
> Jaguar 10.2.8, some odd things happen.  In Jaguar, Authoxy 3, when the
> daemon in running (127.0.0.1) it too often loses its port dropping to
> 'unknown'.  This seems to cause failure to access the net, in my case via
> system prefs>softwareupdates.  I noticed if I turn authoxy off then  on
> again, it correctly establishes the port (8080) and I can then successfully
> execute the SWUpdate function.  However, in Panther, using Authoxy 3.0, I
> seem to be able to do the SWUpdate, even when port unknown is shown.  Is
> this issue known?  I am thinking I may need to go back to v2.3 of authoxy
> for jaguar10.2.8. ???
>
> TWO:
> I know I have mentioned it before, but my university technicians won't budge
> on the issue that our autoproxy script is correctly written and functioning
> just fine, eventhough its not compatible with Macs (perceived as another
> weak feature of macs I think).  One technician reckons Mozilla and an old
> netscape version used to handle *.cgi autoproxy scripts, but that now both
> don't either on Macs.  We use the following script:
> <http://config.scu.edu.au/cgi-bin/proxy.cgi>
>
> The position is that the *.cgi script is working just fine, they see no
> reason to move to *.pac.
>
> What is the difference between a *.pac and *.cgi auto proxy anyway?
> Can Authoxy be tweaked to specifically accommodate a *.cgi autoproxy script
> and/or a *.cgi autoproxy script somehow?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Kurt

I think there are some cosmetic issues with Authoxy 3, the port number being
one of them. But, this has been present for a long time. When you open
Authoxy pref pane *after* the daemon is running, it always report "unknown"
port number...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

bytesexual /bi:t`sek'shu-*l/ adj.: [rare] Said of hardware, denotes
willingness to compute or pass data in either big-endian or little-endian
format (depending, presumably, on a mode bit somewhere). See also NUXI
problem.