Subject: [releases] proposal: change of the versioning scheme
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:12:39 +0200
From: Martin Hollmichel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: releases@openoffice.org
Newsgroups: openoffice.releases

Hi,

I would like to propose the following:

with the next release we will increase the minor number instead of the
micro number as we did with the three past release. This would mean the
scheduled 2.0.5 release will become 2.1.

Why should we do this: Increasing the micro number usually indicates
that only bugfixes has been made compared to the last release version.
If we look on the data, we saw
about 150 features and enhancements in 2.0.1 release
about 60 for 2.0.2 release
about 120 for 2.0.3 release
and already about 80 for 2.0.4

This also corresponds to our announcement that we changed our release
model:
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/BrowseList?list=releases&by=thread&from=1331642

There were some voices that we might to continue with 2.5 as a "logical
sequence" but there were raised some concerns from the marketing corner,
that we will have difficulties to explain the gap between 2.0.4 and 2.1.

I'm open to argument for 2.1 or 2.5, but I would like to introduce the
target in IssueTracker soon, as more and more developer are requesting
this for the next release after 2.0.4.

Martin

PS: no, there's no chance any more to do this change for 2.0.4, we are
too late in our release process for 2.0.4 now.

可知 豊
Yutaka Kachi
http://www.catch.jp/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]