On 11/08/06, Larry Garfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Another question that I've not found a solution to in the Docs yet.  The
> jQuery object, in combination with .find(), offers a zillion ways to seek
> to a given element or elements and then traverse the tree down from there.
>  What about going up?  Say I want to attach an event handler to an
> element, then in the event handler I want to seek *up* the DOM to the
> next, say, tr tag and then from there scan back down to elements with
> certain classes?  (Actual example I had to do recently in a straight-JS
> project.)  How would I do that with jQuery?  Or would we need to add a
> .climb() plugin?
>
> On a related note, is there a way to extract the actual DOM nodes from a
> jQuery object to do basic JS manipulation on them?
>
> --
> Larry Garfield

If you want to return to where you came from use end():

$("p").find("a").click(clickFunction).end().css("border", "1px solid #000");

Which will find all 'p' elements, assign a click function to the
anchors and then return and apply a border to the 'p'.

You can use parents(), which is useful if you don't want to go to
where you were before the find().

$("p").find("a").click(clickFunction).parents("span").css("color", "#f00");