Calculating the mouse position in relation to the buttons is tricky under
certains circimstances. Relatively positioned ancestor elements can upset
things, (I had to allow for them explicitly in IE).

Here's a simpler demo here that shows it working in Opera, FF & IE:
http://www.softwareunity.com/sandbox/jqueryspinbtn/JQuerySpinBtn.OrigDemo.htm
(same js src as original demo but here the textbox parent elements have no
fussy positioning)

The original demo is still here:
http://www.softwareunity.com/sandbox/jqueryspinbtn/

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to upgrade it to a proper plugin and
hopefully add min/max limits and arrow key detection etc.