> I suppose it could be implemented as a plugin (until it makes it into 1.1).
>
> I do make an assumption that looping through the offsetParent's works
> across all modern browsers - I can only really test on what is
> available on Windows (so no Safari, Konqueror etc).

As far as I know, those properties work in all browsers that jQuery
supports. If you wanna work on it, then you're more than welcome to. I
was going to have functions like the following:

.leftFromParent()
.leftFromDocument()
.leftFromWindow()

.topFromParent()
.topFromDocument()
.topFromWindow()

Or maybe that can be shortened to .topParent() .leftDocument() ? This
way .top() and .left() will still return the un-touched CSS property
(if it's needed). Let me know how this sounds to you.

--John