To "makoomba":

Saw your Live Grid and love it (http://makoomba.altervista.org/grid/). Any new features forthcoming? Specifically, I was comparing it to the Rico LiveGrid (http://openrico.org/rico/livegrid.page) and would love to have the following features:

1) Column sorting. I know this is a little harder than it sounds. Can't use something like the TableSorter plugin because not all data is present on the client (that's the whole point), so it would presumably require an Ajax call and sort it on the server.

2) The Rico grid gets a total row count ahead of time and pre-builds empty rows. Then it just populates them on demand. This makes for a much cleaner scrolling effect in my opinion – I would encourage you to compare.

Unless makoomba (or someone else) has plans to add these features, I might take a crack at it myself. If I do, I will of course share with the group.

Of course, to only point out the shortcomings of the jQuery grid isn't fair. It beats the Rico grid on at least 2 fronts:

1) Adjustable column widths – awesome!

2) Overall easier to implement. For example, the Rico grid doesn't actually fix the header row for you. In the example, the header row is implemented as a separate table with the column widths hard-coded to be the same as the data table. In the jQuery version, you use a <thead> and the rest is taken care of for you – much cleaner. Again, well done!

Also, the fact that grid.js weighs in at a mere 5k uncompressed is yet another testament to jQuery's magic.

Todd