I think i'm confusing things here.  In addition to using dashes in class
names and ids, I use them for custom property (attribute) names as
well.  specifically because I like to make my non-xhtml properties stand
out, usually by prefixing them with the 'x-' prefix, similar to
non-standard mime types and http headers. for example: