I'm a PHP guy through and through, and hate Perl.  Am I what you're looking
for? :-)

Seriously thought, I'd not actually heard of openjsan until this thread.  The
problem with CPAN-like systems, though (such as PEAR, the PHP equivalent), is
that they get big, fast.  Just a base PEAR install is huge, and includes a
ton of test code, documentation, configs, and other things that are
completely irrelevant to running the code.  They also really don't work in
individual downloads.  You have to use their installer, which means pretty
much you have to have a dedicated server that you're running things on.  You
can set things up without it, but frankly they're all hacks that only sorta
work.

The other catch is inter-dependency.  That means all code has to be written to
essentially the same standard.  It also means you get a lot of code that
requires other code that requires other code.  That's OK on a server but for
Javascript, that becomes a TON of code you need to send to the client.  Add t
that the fact that there are so many different common standards for JS coding
makes the problem even worse.

Frankly, I think a better solution for jQuery is to become its own
repository. :-)  Provide svn space for contrib modules, under a common
MIT/GPL dual license, automate the documentation, make it easy to mix and
match.  Right now there's just so many cool things being announced on the
list here that I can't keep up with them, but none of it ends up on the web
site, except maybe in the blog.  For a modular system like jQuery, a better
way to present and advertise those contributed modules and plugins is very
important.

On Monday 21 August 2006 21:03, John Beppu wrote:
> Cool.  I'm glad Perl is still alive.  ;-)
>
> However, I would really like to hear from the non-Perl people who are
> so underrepresented on openjsan.org.  Is there anyone on this jQuery
> Discussion mailing list who is *NOT* a Perl hacker?
>
> If so, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on openjsan.org and how
> we could make it better.
>
> (...or, if you could suggest a place where I can find non-Perl people
> doing serious JavaScript development, that's cool, too.  The more
> voices, the better.)
>
> On 8/21/06, ashutosh bijoor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I second Stephen's opinions, but again, I'm a Perl guy too :-)
> > -Ashutosh
> >
> > On 8/22/06, Stephen Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> > > I know you wanted to hear from non-Perl programmers, but I thought  I'd
> > > throw this in, as I've suggested on the jQuery list in the past that
> > > people submit their jQuery work to JSAN (I have a couple of pre-jQuery
> > > items on JSAN myself)
> > >
> > > The killer I think for JSAN is the infrastructure's immaturity. At
> > > least for a time, Casey seemed to be running the uploads for JSAN
> > > manually, so you never knew when your code would hit the repository.
> > >
> > > Another thing I think needs improving is a browseable interface to the
> > > repository.  I think this is one of cpan.org's strengths that is
> > > missing from openjsan.  In addition to the search box
> > > (search.cpan.org), CPAN has browseable categories for modules.  No such
> > > interface seems to exist for JSAN.
> > >
> > > People from other language backgrounds may have different objections,
> > > but those are what seem to be standing in the way from my point of
> > > view.
> > >
> > > -Stephen

> > --
> > Reach1to1 Communications
> >  http://www.reach1to1.com
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > 98201-94408

Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson