This topic actually showed up just recently on the prototype list.
Some said that they use a setTimeout+eval to insure global scope but
others said that prototype isn't actually doing it right for that work
properly. Instead I believe they are just using the setTimeout to
avoid an IE issue where the innerHTML isn't ready to modify yet.

However, an interesting link showed up in the discussion that suggests
removing the script tags and using a document.createElement and
appending them to the DOM. Here is the code they suggested:

var d =
 document.getElementById('divContents').getElementsByTagName("script")
 var t = d.length
 for (var x=0;x<t;x++){
 var newScript = document.createElement('script');
        newScript.type = "text/javascript";
        newScript.text = d[x].text;
 document.getElementById('divContents').appendChild(newScript);
 }

I'm not sure if this will work in Safari or not ... seems like I
remember having some issues with this.

Here is the link:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/tree/browse_frm/thread/f4cb3fae3eb9ea4c/60b52777163fe8ac?rnum=1&hl=en&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fcomp.lang.javascript%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2Ff4cb3fae3eb9ea4c%3Fhl%3Den%26#doc_89bc83a21339f05a

Brandon Aaron