There are several plugins that tackle this same problem.
With the help of the people on the list, I found a nice solution that
works with an iframe, but in a simpler way than most.

You can see it work in http://www.dyve.net/jquery?autocomplete, I
don't have my references here to point you to the original idea. It's
somewhere on this list as well.