Hmm... I'm not entirely sure why this might be happening. what happens
if you copy-and-paste the page that you're loading in, in to the page
that you're loading in to.

In other words, you have:

pageA.html
<script>
$("#foo").load("pageB.html");
</script>

pageB.html:
æ, ø, å, Æ, Ø, Å etc

Now just copy the contents from  pageB.html into the div in pageA and
see if it renders correctly. If it doesn't - could you try and make a
test case for me, so that I can hunt it down? Thanks.

--John