I don't think this is a bug. I made the experience, that whenever you
give an element opacity, you cannot undo that for children of that
element as you could with a background...

It works only in one direction, i.e. the opacity of a child adds up to
that of its parent, but not in a way that opacity is reduced.

-- Klaus