From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Christof Donat
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2006 10:02 AM
To: jQuery Discussion.
Subject: Re: [jQuery] New plugin: toXML (XML serializer)

Hi,

> The thing is, the main use case for a toXML() call is to send XML data
> via an ajax request.

Well, I could imagine that there may be other usecases as well, like doing
search and replace operations on the string representation of a XML which is
reparsed afterwards. It was just a joke, but you may look at that "use case"

which could be usefull for XML-Data as well:

http://dean.edwards.name/weblog/2006/07/erlaubt/#comment7262

> The duration of the request greatly overshadows any optimisation that
> could be applied to toXML.

Well, there are also use cases, where you can assume a really fast network
connections (inhouse with 1GB-Ethernet e.g.) and thus work with huge
datasets on the client side. Then suddenly the time, the client and server
need to process the request becomes the dominating factor.

I think that jQuery could also be really usefull for Applications using
XULrunner (I haven't tried yet) and thus there are many other use cases like
e.g. working with RDF-Data, etc. - OK, we don't need to emulate
XMLSerializer then.

> Also, I don't think it is a good idea to attempt to implement an
> XMLSerializer object for the sake of it, especially when the full
> interface isn't being implemented

You are right here of course. I was too lazy to look for the
XMLSerializer-interface and see if the other functions can also be simulated
so easy.

> As a rule I live by the KISS principle, and never optimise code unless
> it becomes a bottleneck, and then only do so under profiling conditions.

Well, KISS is an optimization strategy :-) Most of the time code is fast
when it is simple, but "most of the time" is not "always".

Christof