You can't use ajax to send files.  It's not supported because it's not
permitted.

The libraries that do it (e.g. Yahoo UI) create a hidden iframe on the
fly, with a form inside the iframe (that has a file upload control), which
gets submitted.  It's as much of a pain as it sounds like it is.

Other efforts use Flash or a Java applet to help.

That said, it's possible that someone can put together a plugin that
implements the iframe hack.

- Brian