Hi everyone,
I've noticed while poking around in other people's jQuery code that there is a common misunderstanding of .blur().

As far as I can tell, the blur() function acts the same way as any other event handler in that allows something to happen when the event ( in this case leaving an element) takes place.

But what I've seen is that people are trying to use it to /do/ the actual blurring. So, it might appear in a .click() function like so:
$('a.clickme').click(function() {
   $(this).next('div').show();
   $(this).blur();
});

Presumably this is to move the focus off of the "a" tag so that the pesky dotted outline goes away.

So, my question: Is there a way to actually blur the element after clicking on it? Is there a "best" way to do that?

ANNOUNCEMENT
Also, I wanted to let you know that I just posted a new tutorial on learningjquery.com. I normally wouldn't make an announcement on this list, but I'm having problems with the RSS feed and am trying to switch over to Feedburner, so I'm not sure any feed readers were updated with the new entry. Here it is, in case anyone is interested:

Cheers,

Karl