I need to add/remove and fire custom events.
As an intro example, I have a div with id "TabManager".   TabManager
has inside a ul and li's  much like others create tabs these days.  I
want TabManager to be the central object which other components
listen on for events like "tab_changed('new_tab')".  TabManager will
also have methods such as "query_tab()" and change_tab("homeTab").

Sure, I can and have implemented this differently.  In prototype, I
just created a javascript class for this and mitigated custom events
through it.
However, in jQuery, it seems wise to try a different approach with a
custom javascript class as a hidden helper object.  For a jQuery
approach, TabManager is a referencable DOM object instead of a named
javascript variable.

Any ideas?
thanks, ke han