This is all well and good but the document does not make this at all
clear. I would not have fallen into this trap if it was documented
well.

I also would never have expected that calling a find method on
anything would ever modify the thing that I was calling it on. It
makes sense that sorting an array might sort the array rather than
returning a sorted array.

In Ruby, it is a convention that distructive methods are appended with
bang (!). So that var.replace(foo, bar) returns a new string with the
appropriate replacments but var.replace!(foo, bar) modifies the value
of var directly. Its unfortunate that this is not possible in
javascript, although perhaps using something like me.find$() would be
sufficiently indicative.

Adam