For confidentiality reasons I can't show you code I'm working in at
the moment, but I have traced it to a problem with Matthias Miller's
onreadystatechange hack inside the jquery source code; basically the
script element created is not seen by IE7, causing a js error on the
following line:

script.onreadystatechange = function() {

which in turn was causing the rest of jquery not to load. wrapping
that clode block in

if (script) { }

solves that specific problem, but I suppose .ready() wouldn't work
(I'm not using it)

I am making a cross-domain script which self-loads jquery, if this
sheds any light on the matter. I will try to construct a minimal test
case.

Chris