Hi Klaus,

> Isn't it a bit dangerous to alter jQuery's core in a plugin?

I hear what you're saying.  I ended up using "serialize" partially
based on this note from John:

> I think form.js's .serialize() should supercede the serialize() in
> ajax.js. It's all around a better plugin. If we're serious about
> merging jQuery and the form plugin, then the better one should go
> first.

and also because I thought that was the group consensus.  One question
I posed back then was, "Why would you want to serialize form elements
in a way that does not correctly utilize the element state?"  In other
words, why submit controls that are not "successful"[1]?  I guess your
on-the-fly validation falls into that category.

> jQuerys serialize is a more general tool for serialization, I think.

I guess.  It's either a "more general" tool or a "broken" tool.  :-)
It's one of those methods that requires a "buyer beware" sign.  I have
no problem changing the form plugin's serialize method to
formSerialize.  Anyone disagree with doing so?

Mike

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#successful-controls