UFO Version 3.30 is coming soon sneek peak at http://www.refunk.com/ufo/ufo.js

On 31/10/06, Luke Lutman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You make a good point about mobile devices, etc. Klaus -- point taken.

I'm still not convinced about using <object /> though -- for me it's got
a number of cons:

* It's messy -- you need different code for different browsers. All the
browsers support <object />, but IE wants a different <object /> than
the rest.

* It doesn't work *properly* everywhere -- IE doesn't stream <object
/>-only swfs, and the whole flash-satay setup is pretty ugly.

* You still need non-standard markup -- the only way I've been able to
get Safari to recognize flashvars is to add a flashvars="..." attribute
to the <object /> (as well as a separate <param name="flashvars" ...
/>), which breaks validation.

(If I'm wrong about any of the above, please correct me).

Using _javascript_ to detect flash and insert the embed tag solves the
alternate content problem. In my mind, the only con of using <embed />
is that it's not written in the spec. But, since it's centralized in one
place (the function that does the replacements), it's pretty easy to
swap out in the future if necessary.

Luke