On Tuesday, November 14, 2006 12:10 PM [EMAIL PROTECTED] <> said:

> I am SO glad to see someone else mention this. In my mind, users who
> do not have Javascript enabled in this day and age fall are missing
> out on a LOT the Web has to offer. And why? Most often, because
> someone has filled their mind with some nonsense that Javascript is
> some great security risk, despite the easily-obtainable facts to the
> contrary.

My point was with regards to data validation.

If you rely on js because everyone "should" have js turned on in "this
day and age" you're opening yourself up to major security issues on the
server-side. That was my only point. I wanted to make sure that he
wasn't advocating client-side validation as the way to go. Client-side
validation cannot be relied on.

I turn off js because of ad tracking and user monitoring. I personally
don't like to have doubleclick (or any other ad agency, aside from
Google since I user their Analytics service myself) gain any benefit
from knowing which sites I visit. It's annoying.

> This isn't to say that our sites should fail miserably if the user
> DOES disabled Javascript.

Not only should it not fail miserably, it shouldn't fail at all. Search
engines don't understand js so your navigation shouldn't rely on it
either.

Chris.